San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, SPUR, supports the idea of buildling housing over retail. SPUR has published a report exploring ways to "incentivize" retailers, such as Safeway, to build housing atop existing structures.
Other organizations looking at this idea:
- Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center (BHNC)
- Housing Action Coalition (HAC)
Other areas already developing retail/housing complexes:
- Albertson's at Fulton and Masonic has a parking garage underneath and housing above.
- A Faletti's grocery store and Bank of America with 119 housing units above is being developed at Fell and Baker.
- The Safeway at 30th and Mission is the site that spurred SPUR's report.
- Housing over retail is "taking over in lots of cities," According to Tim Colen, Executive Director of HAC.
Information and data found from the September issue of Mission Dispatch newspaper.