Elizabeth, a San Francisco friend who grew up in New Orleans just sent me this email:
Thanks very much for checking in. I do have both family and friends, but mostly friends. They were able to evacuate and now are just waiting to see if they have anything left to go home to. Unfortunately it looks like most of them lost everything and won't be able to return to the city for some time. At least they are all safe.
Blogcritics has a good article and roundup of disaster relief resources, in case you'd like to help.
- Rueters: "The devastation is greater than our worst fears," Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco told a news conference. "It's totally overwhelming."
- Flickr: lumis has the best photoset of Mobile, Alabama flooding I've seen.
- Craig Newmark on craigblog: "People are smart, and good, and surprise me with the way they use our site." <--Good resource of Katrina-related craigslist links in this one.
- NYTimes Editorial:"Right now it looks as if rescuing New Orleans will be a task much more daunting than any city has faced since the San Francisco fire of 1906. It must be a mission for all of us."
- SFGate: Find out how to help.